Saturday, January 23, 2021

The Prophecy by John Coulthart

2547x5098p

Some years ago (well, 20) I started avidly saving all kinds of images for a 'future time'.  You can call them digital antiques (for I do love old things) in an age when 'old' things these days rack up a scant 5 years.

Hibernation is a natural part of the yearly life cycle up here.  As a kid in the winter I would happily walk freely in the snow-covered bush knowing that I would meet no black bears (like I did on many occasions picking blueberries in the summer). And so it has gone with the internet as well.

This massive image by John Coulthart (originally released on Beautiful) was stitched together with Pixeluvo.  It struck me then as massive and it still holds its power as a darkly sweeping nightmare.  I recall finding a link to it as a triptych, and also recall downloading it and watching it appear, screen chunk by screen chunk (in the early days computers only had about a half gig of ram).

Consider this part of a torpid dream then, like a bear being roused from its visions, not because its tail has been pulled (you wouldn't wake me anyway), but because, in the words of Todrick Hall, I 'eat and sleep all day'.

No comments: