Friday, May 31, 2024

Yet again, Alan Arkin's moustache in The Russians are Coming, The Russians are Coming (1966)






Ok this one is uff, the fuel of school boy fantasy.  I was not even in double digits when I first saw this film in the early 70s, but even on a black and white TV Alan Arkin's fictional character shone through.  Another Jewish man, another moustache.  You can see a pattern emerging, can you not, reader?  He played such a sympathetic - if slightly single-minded - mariner in the film.  As the man in charge of the scouting party he looked out for his men, of course.  That was paramount in his mind.  He only knew he had to get the fuck out of New England, dead stop.  But the moustache and the cap and the leather jacket was an almost genetic nudge to my gay sensibilities. I was um, enthralled .. with every desperate nuance of Lieutenant Rozanov.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

This movie was shown on tv back in the 1970’s, it was very popular.
Arkin fleshed out his character well.:)

Deliciousdeity said...

Yes quite right, Anon. I later saw him in Catch-22 as Yosarrian!

uptonking said...

He is ADORABLE. I'd ride that stash... sigh. But... I have a new crush. Edmund MacDonald in The Lady Confesses.

Deliciousdeity said...

Adorable! Good word! And oddly (maybe not oddly) while everyone around him is losing their head, he is the sanest man in the whole of the film. Your man Edmund reminds me of Tom Neal!!